Morris County Office of Emergency Management
Visit www.MorrisOEM.org to learn how you can register for alerts with your local police or emergency personnel, or follow us on Facebook and Twitter (@MCUrgent).
Winter Preparedness Tips
When the winter weather hits, will your family be prepared? Winter storms bring seasonal challenges, and often result in hazardous road conditions and power outages across the County. Take the time to prepare your home, and your vehicle, for winter weather hazards. Here are some tips:
Prepare at Home: Stock up!
- Food that doesn't require heating or refrigeration
- Water (1 gallon per person per day)
- Flashlights and batteries
- Battery powered or hand-crank radio
- Medications and Medical Items (if necessary)
- Pet food, water, and additional supplies
- Baby supplies (formula, bottles, diapers, etc.)
Alternate heating methods (wood, coal burning stoves, etc.)
- Warm coats, gloves or mittens, boots, and extra blankets
On the Road: Winterize your vehicle.
- Keep the gas tank full. A full tank will keep the fuel line from freezing.
- Check tires for proper inflation
- Pack emergency supplies in a backpack for a kit on-the-go:
- Warning Flares or reflective triangle
Have a Plan. Be Prepared.